The NCSLA is a regulatory support organization whose duties and programs include the following:
- Facilitate and encourage compliance by resident and non-resident surplus lines licensees with the laws of this State and the rules and regulations of the Commissioner relative to surplus lines insurance.
- Communicate with organizations of admitted insurers with respect to the proper use of the surplus lines market.
- Receive and disseminate to surplus lines licensees information about surplus lines insurance, including, without limitation, new electronic filing procedures approved by the Commissioner, changes in the list of eligible surplus lines insurers, and modifications in coverages, procedures, and requirements as may be requested by the Commissioner.
- Establish a stamping office to process all surplus lines insurance and remit premium taxes for those coverages under N.C. Gen. Stat. § 58-21-85 by means satisfactory to the Commissioner.
- Perform networking, regulatory and legislative activities on behalf of its members.
- Hold annual meetings with industry speakers and continuing education opportunities.
- Provide scholarship opportunities for students studying risk management and insurance at North Carolina universities.
- Contribute to the sponsorship of international studies programs (Lloyds of London) at North Carolina universities with risk management and insurance concentrations.